8.26.2009

Rush - Rush: My Thoughts On The Album

Songs on this album I knew previous to this project:
Finding My Way
Working Man
What You're Doing (I did not know the name to this song)

I've spent not even a full week with this album and already I'm sentimental to it. This album has officially become the soundtrack to my early days at Rush School. Just learning the ABC's of Rush.

This album reminds me of a summer you have when you are young. Fun, ingenuous, memorable and idealistic. Your summer starts out hopeful with Finding My Way, headstrong and true. Then you've got a little angst with Need Some Love. Who cares because you just Take A Friend and throw a BBQ. At that BBQ you run into your ex and find that you're Here Again, and you think you know What You're Doing. You learn you don't, and it's humbling but you bounce back better than ever. That alone is enough to put you In The Mood. It turns out you're fooling yourself, and find thoughts of Before and After your ex. Just when you are ready for another start, summer ends and you become a Working Man again.

I've had that summer. Rush's debut album would have been the perfect soundtrack to the summer I was 20. You can tell Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson may have been in an uncomplicated time in their lives when they wrote these lyrics. Focusing on this album made me recognize Alex Lifeson for putting out an amazing sound and wicked solos, Geddy Lee for his underestimate bass skills and untouchable vocals, and John Rutsey for impeccable timing.

What I also learned about this album is that it was originally recorded on a 8-channel multitrack recorders. Kind of old school for '74 don't you think? However, I think they made due. Also, the Rush logo was originally red on this cover but there was a printing error and it turned out more pink.

Let's take a moment to honor the three original co-founders of Rush Jeff Jones, Alex Lifeson and John Rutsey. However, let's be eternally grateful for the members today Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart.

I don't know about you but I'm ready to meet Neil Peart.

0 comments:

Post a Comment