8.21.2009

It's True.

Some girls do LOVE Rush.  I do.  They are the second best thing to come out of Canada, next to my best friend Lena* who is from Regina, Canada.  (heh heh, Regina) I remember the first time I heard Rush.  My brother was taking me to school in his brown pick-up truck, when he put that tape in.  Yes, tape.  Ok, so I'm not very old at all.  I'm 31.  I'm just a baby.  So it's not like I heard Rush's debut on the radio or heard it on vinyl.  Driving to school, pretending to be cool by smoking with my brother in my school uniform and a hair scrunchie that matched.  DORK.  That's when I heard the beginning to Tom Sawyer blaring from the poo brown truck's shit-box speakers.  It was awesome.  


Here's the thing, I like music... all kinds of music.  I like a little bit of everything.  But I'm picky.  I hate HATE most country but I can listen to Pasty Cline for hours.  I hate most rap, but I loves me some Busta Rhymes and NWA.  I love punk rock, but can't stand the likes of 311, any Green Day other than the album Kerplunk! and Linkin Park.  Most Classic Rock can do no wrong.  I love Disco, the 70's singers and songwriters, and any and all Sinatra.  I'm very selective.  It has to be like nothing else you've ever heard, it has to move me in some way, and it most certainly has to be a little odd.  This is exactly Rush.  No one before or since Rush has a sound like them.  So ok... imagine the beginning to Tom Sawyer blowing my mind right... and then Neil Peart scissor kicks me in the head with a drum solo.  


From then on out I was proud to say I am a Rush fan.  A fan of Rush.  Yep, Rush-mania.   I was 13 at the time.  I'm 31 now.  Twenty years later, I realized about an hour ago that I don't know that much about Rush.  I mean I can name a handful of songs and I LOVE listening to them.  But I'm ... I'm a poser.  I don't own one album, I've never even heard the entire first self-titled album, and I've never seen them live.  I'm quite ashamed.  


However, that all changes now.  I'm going to get to know Rush album by album.  Just Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart and me.  Starting with the debut album Rush and ending with well, I don't even know what their last album was?!?! (Sigh)  


I'll be picking up the CD this weekend.  In the meantime, feel free to leave comments of any information regarding Rush.  I wanna know it all.  Don't get me wrong I'm not going to become their "#1 fan" or anything.  My goal is to educate myself on one of the best and one of my favorite bands of all time.  



*Name has been changed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment